Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Saying Goodbye.

I knew it was coming. Every time I'd go home, I'd leave thinking "Its only a matter of time." I mentally tried to prepare myself for today. Yet with one phone call I learned a hard lesson.

Nothing can prepare you to let go.

Early this morning, a woman who has greatly impacted my life the last 26 years slipped peacefully out of this world. Grandmother held and will continue to hold a very special place in my heart.

With her I shared my love of reading.

From her I received a respect for those who have gone on before.

From her I got the best dad any girl could ask for.

From her I think my obssession with rolls may have started.

From her I knew I was loved.

From her I learned so much.

I have memories circling in my mind. I don't know if I could pick out a favorite. I remember that she never let you leave her house without taking some kind of food--casserole, rolls, candy--she kept them on hand for when we stopped by. I remember standing in her kitchen talking to her--she always had time to hear about what I was doing. I remember her fiestiness, her love, her testimony.

Today, I don't cry because I feel sorry for her death. I cry because I will miss her till I can see her again. But what a joy that day will be. So, though I wasn't prepared, and its hard to say, Goodbye Grandmother. Till we meet again.

4 comments:

Zachary said...

Well said. Very well said.

Anna said...

Aw Rach, you made *me* cry and she's not my grandma! Saying good-bye is something I hate to think about, with anyone close to me in my life. It's so true that often it's just missing the person and knowing all the waiting you'll have to do before you get to see them again. I hope you and your family continue to find peace during this time.

Gretch said...

Beautifully said Rachel. She will be missed! It will be nice to gather as a family and remember her together. We'll see you Saturday. *Hugs*

Beverly said...

Rachel I hadn't checked your blog for a while. That was beautiful and so very true. Thanks Love you.