Thursday, June 23, 2011

Byers Motto

If there is one lesson I learned living with 5 sisters and two brothers, it would be how to stick to my convictions. We were  blessed with strong convictions and quickly learned to not let anyone take those from us. I may have learned this a little too well. What I mean is...we tend to think we are always right. In fact if in an argument we will argue our point until proven wrong. And even then--we won't admit that we are wrong but usually say something eloquent like "whatever" and change the subject.  Now, don't think that I am so self-aware that I figured this out on my own. No, my brother-in-law pointed this out one day after a few years of observation. After that, I found myself in that very situation...more times then I care to admit. I am trying to work on it. But a habit that is over 20 years in the making...its hard to break.

Case in point. My sister and I were planning on going to lunch with a friend. Molly asked where we were meeting. I let her know we were going to Applebee's over by the mall. Her response was "there is no Applebee's by the Mall, its a Chili's."I argued that there was no chili's but there was an Applebees. I know, stupid argument. It didn't last long as turned to my trusted friend Google. 

We were both right. There was an Applebee's and a Chili's. And they are right next to each other. 

So, when I saw this sign I couldn't help but think--this is our motto.


2 comments:

Paul said...

I have done that more then once with my friends and family. I know what you are talking about. I do like that statment tho. I find it hard to excepted but it is true.

http://whereamindlines.blogspot.com/

lasantine said...

Lol, Rachel, this is so true, even of cousins . . . I'm perfectly willing to agree to disagree- as long as the other person agrees to be wrong. XD